Jan 16, 2011

Chocolate Charlotte with Bananas


Hello my dear food bloggers, followers, and friends. It’s been a while, and I’m very appreciative that a lot of you still visit, and ask about my whereabouts. I miss blogging, and discovering what you’ve made every day.
Except for working too much, not much is new with me. I’m still holding on to my 20s, which is proving harder every day, esp. first thing in the morning before I apply layers of makeup : )

Like many of you, I’m enjoying the serene winter scenery, minus the morning car troubles, and huge winter heating bills. I have a had a great Holiday season, with December 31st being my busiest work day, and for the first time in my adult life I fell asleep and woke up next year without my share of New Years Champagne.
My family petitioned yesterday that I reclaim my throne in the kitchen and finally make something homemade. Well, I cheated a little, but it’s almost completely home made.

I decided to go though the whole usual works of making them wait for dessert till I snap a few images to share with you. Hope you like it, and hope you are all having a great New Year!

Chocolate Charlotte with Bananas

1 package lady fingers
Some milk to soak the ladyfingers

Filling:
2 packs Dr. Oetker pudding (available at ethnic stores, Italian fruit markets, or Meijer if you have one)
3 1/3 cup milk
9 tbs sugar
1 stick unsalted butter or margarine, room temperature

Set 2,5 cups milk to boil. Use the remainder of milk to mix pudding powder and sugar, the add to boiling milk, reduce heat, and stir quickly for few minutes. Let cool to room temperature. Combine with butter (or margarine).

For the biscuit:
3 eggs
6 tbs sugar
0.5 dcl/ 1.7 oz milk
0.5 dcl/ 1.7 oz oil
7 tbs flour
2 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 400 °F. Mix eggs with sugar, add oil, milk, then flour mixed with baking powder. Bake until golden, and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I have used the 8” pan.

To assemble:
Line a glass bowl with clear plastic wrap. Dip lady fingers into lukewarm milk, but don’t soak them too much, just quickly, and arrange them around the bowl wall. Add 1/3 filling to the bottom, then add a layer of lady fingers on top of it (not soaked), then 1/3 of filling, then 2 whole bananas bent a little to make a circle, then remainder of the filling, and close it all up with a biscuit. Let cool in the fridge over night, then flip it onto a cake stand. Serve with whipped cream and enjoy.
Note: It is very important to have the pudding and the butter at the same temperature, or it won’t combine nicely. Mine was not so perfect because I was impatient, or shall I say the entire family was : )

19 comments:

Momo said...

happy new year,melita,your charlotte looks very tempting!:)

José Manuel said...

Me encanta, esto me lo copio.

Saludos

Boabe de Cafea said...

Wonderful recipe!
I will try it for sure. :)

Talita said...

I do LOVE your bakings, Melita! Your pics also are awesome!

This charlotte looks really yummy!

YELDA said...

That's look lovely.. I have to get it immediatly :)

Melita said...

Thank you all!
I have used lady fingers from Trade Joe's, they're great!

novia said...

very yummy!!!

Serena@TentarNonNuoce said...

I am so very, very, very, very hapy to be reading you again!!!!!! :)

cocoa and coconut said...

Welcome back!

This cake looks so professional and wonderful. I love the slice of banana in it.

Bite my cake said...

Melita, već dugo posjećujem tvoj blog (a sad ostavljam i prvi komentar)jako mi je drago to see you back! :)

briarrose said...

What a neat recipe. It looks lovely.

Sweet Corner said...

wow, predivno i fotkica i sarlotica:)

Petra Kranjica said...

It s so good to see you again

Anonymous said...

Predivno!!

Meg Luby said...

this looks SO GOOD! i cannot wait to make it myself! thanks for posting- love your blog!
-meg
@clutzycooking.blogspot.com
@myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

Boabe de Cafea said...

Happy New Year and welcome back! I know we missed you :)
Wonderful recipe, by the way.

L. Neusiedler said...

this cake looks gorgeous!

sheila @ Elements said...

I'm glad you're back blogging again! I love your recipes and this one looks great! Welcome back and try to stay warm this winter! :)

Suzy said...

This looks incredible. I know you were the hero of the kitchen! Its too bad when life gets so buy we have to cut things out, but I know how it is. We have to prioritize! Just make time to enjoy what you love...you won't get this time back.

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS